23 October 2018   |  Last Updated 18-12-2014 11:36

      Tuesday 16, December 2014

      Harvey Nichols injunction fails to prevent protesters

      HIGH-END department store Harvey Nichols has been under fire from animal rights groups for the past two months after deciding to sell real fur again.

      Campaigners were enraged by the companies ethical U-turn as they had previously fought to stop the sale of real fur in the store.

      Following a campaign in 2004, Harvey Nichols’ Company Director said: "The board has today reviewed the company’s fur policy and has decided going forward that they will no longer stock real fur items."

      However, in September 2014, they made the decision to start selling real fur again, and even though Harvey Nichols Head of Fashion Paula Reed was forced to resign over the decision they continue to sell over 20 different products containing real fur.

      Protests are being held frequently in Knightsbridge, London and in New Cathedral Street, Manchester but the multi-million pound company aim to stop this with an injunction on street protesters outside the stores in England and Wales.

      The injunction requests that protesters be banned from handing out leaflets, using megaphones or loudhailers and congregating within 50 metres of Harvey Nichols stores.

      Nevertheless, Saturday 13th December saw hoards of animal rights activists descend on New Cathedral Street armed with banners and megaphones.

      After drawing in large crowds throughout the day, lifelong campaigner Dave Brock, 54, was pleased with the reaction from the public: "I campaign for many animal rights groups and today I have been handing out leaflets and giving information to the public. Lots of people have come over and after hearing about the cruel methods Harvey Nichols use for fashion statements they have had a re-think about going in there.

      "We’re hitting them in the pocket. We tried hitting them in the conscience but that didn’t work so we’re hitting them in the pocket now."

      The protestors were pleased with the turn out and the amount of signatures on the petition and are determined they won’t let the injunction stop them;

      "We won’t stop until they stop."

      Carol Singleton-Hughes of Lancaster came to Manchester to join Manchester Animal Action in their protest;

      ‘They tried to make us stop with this injunction, a man came out with a tape measure to see how far from the building we were and some policemen came over as well but we are being peaceful. We are not the ones in the wrong, they are, and the public need to know about the cruelty that’s going on’.

      Manchester Animal Action vow to continue protesting until Harvey Nichols change their fur policy.

      By Chelsey Lordan